This is the story of Ōrongorongo Station Homestead in Wainuiomata.
Ōrongorongo Station in Wainuiomata was held by the Riddiford family. The homestead was established around 1846 when Daniel Riddiford occupied the land. The Riddiford family then farmed the land till 1986. Daniel arrived in Wellington as the New Zealand Company’s emigration agent in 1840. The land, characterized by its rough and mountainous terrain, was suitable for sheep farming, with only the homestead garden being cultivated. He resided there until the devastating earthquake of 1855, which elevated the entire coast by about 1.5 metres (5 feet) and destroyed the original homestead. The Riddiford family, including their children, evacuated by Māori canoe through the Heads into Cook Strait to their new home ‘Woburn’ in Lower Hutt.
Twenty years later after Daniel Riddiford’s death in 1875, his eldest son Edward, later known as ‘King Riddiford,’ came back to the property until his death in 1911. Edward spoke fluent Māori and was called ‘King’ by Māori of the area who were impressed by his mental and physical toughness. The river flats were freeholded in 1861, but he leased the hills from Māori owners.
Following him, the more well-known family member, Eric Riddiford, assumed control, marking the longest family association with any New Zealand station. He bought the leased hills from the Crown after the Native Land Courts failed to find the owners and he farmed the land till he died in 1952.
The farm was sold after Eric died to Jim Hussey and Dan McEwan with partners Kevin Clarke, San Panchal and Gino Appierdo who held onto the property for 11 years. This break in Riddiford ownership ended when the homestead went back in the hands of a Mr. Earle and Mrs Rosemary Riddiford who took over in 1963. They sold the property and homestead in 1986.
The business was wound up in 1988, with some attempts to continue operating to pay off debts. In June 1990 an agreement was made for American Dan Monen and James Carruthers to buy the building, but sadly, the lodge burned down less than a week later. There were plans for it to be rebuilt which never eventuated.
Credits
Source and photos: Wainuiomata Historical Museum Society.
Source: https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22386563.