Mackay Cottage was built as early as 1907 for Morton Dam workers and was later removed in 1980.
Mackay Cottage was originally built to accommodate Morton Dam workers so may date as far back as 1907.
In the 1930s, keen angler Ian Mackay (1894–1970) discovered two cottages while exploring the river. One was occupied by a Water Board worker and was probably Pearson Hut, while the other, now known as Mackay Cottage, had been abandoned and was being used by a cow for shelter. Mackay leased the abandoned cottage and restored it as a fishing retreat. It later became a much-loved family getaway and was also used as a refuge during the polio outbreak. In 1958, Mackay and his father built a stone wall and planted tarata trees as a hedge to help keep cattle away from the cottage.
During the war, Mackay often hosted servicemen at the cottage. On one memorable occasion, an American officer encountered a wild pig and shot it through the kitchen window.
The general area where the hut was located is called The Terrace, due to its elevated position in comparison to the river and immediate land around it. This hut existed around 1907 until 1980. Today, the site is marked by a sign and a rectangular fence made from rocks.
Gums Loop Swing Bridge provided access to Mackay Cottage from Reservoir Road.

















