Wainuiomata Primary School was established in 1857, making it one of the oldest continuously operating schools in the country.
Wainuiomata Primary School is a state school located in Homedale, the oldest suburb in Wainuiomata. Established way back in 1857, a schoolhouse was later constructed in 1908, to accommodate the principal. The same year, the oldest remaining classroom was built. Today, it is the home of the Wainuiomata Historical Museum.
The first block of classrooms, situated closest to Homedale Road, was inaugurated in 1948. Subsequently, the second wing was added in 1951 and formally unveiled by the Minister of Education on 20 March 1953. The infant block, designed in the Avalon style, commenced operations in 1955. Additionally, to accommodate the burgeoning student population, five prefabricated structures were erected on the playground while awaiting the completion of Wainuiomata North (Glendale) School, which opened its doors in 1958.
In 2002, the school underwent a merger with Wood Hatton School, and in 2022 a major redevelopment of the classroom buildings was completed, with several older structures demolished and replaced. Further stages of the redevelopment continued through 2024, including the demolition of additional ageing buildings in January and their replacement later that year.
Leadership at Wainuiomata School
The original school remained a central institution throughout periods of expansion, and was guided by successive principals, with some listed below:
- Mr Prouse – first headmaster (1857), teaching from his home
- Mr Willoughby – early schoolmaster during the 1860s
- Mr Clarke – schoolmaster in 1870
- Mr Leary – master until 1876
- Mrs E. Palmer – head teacher in 1878
- Mrs Agnes Jane Paterson – teacher in charge from 1879 to 1881
- Fannie Wilkinson – mistress from 1882 to 1883
- Henry E. Erskine-Smyth – master from 1884 to 1886
- John J. Pilkington – master from 1886 to 1888
- Constance Searle – teacher in charge from 1888 to 1889
- Andrew Nesbit Burns – sole-charge teacher from 1890 to 1892
- Adolf Feist – sole-charge teacher from 1893 to 1895
- Sara Letham – teacher in charge from 1896 to 1915
- Mabel E. Oswin – appointed mistress in 1916 and sole-charge teacher during the following years
- Sydney G. Still – headmaster by 1936
- E. G. “Gordon” Anderson – headmaster during the 1950s
- Haig Herbert Whiting – principal during the 1960s
- Norm Wright – principal from 1971 to 1986
- Adrian Olsen – principal from 1987 to May 1991
- Roger Marshall – principal by 1992
- Neil Worboys – principal by 2008, retiring in 2014
- Allison Burdon – current principal
Each tenure reflects a different phase in the school’s development, from frontier beginnings to a modern educational environment.










































![Wainuiomata-River-School Wainuiomata River and School, Circa 1920 [Public Domain]](https://wainuiomata.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Wainuiomata-River-School-350x252.jpg)





Thanks for finally talking about > The History of Wainuiomata Primary School | WAINUIOMATA .NET < Liked it!